knitting, poetry and all the other important things in life...

Saturday 23 June 2007

New socks, new book and things to do

I've been waiting for the new Interweave book "Favourite Socks" for ages - but, with brilliant timing, it arrived earlier this week, just after I finished the Marigolds. I've had some apricot-y Trekking yarn sitting around for ages, and I thought it was perfect for these lovely Embossed Leaves Socks:

The 2" twisted rib was a bit onerous, but I think it will look great when they are finished. They are quite pretty-pretty and rather cute - no doubt I'll wear them on one of my girlier days. The pattern is quite simple despite being over 16 rows. Here's a close-up so you can see the leaves and stalks:

On the whole I am a bit disappointed with the book - I was expecting more variety of toe-up socks, but there are only a couple, so I'm stuck at the moment as to what to make with the lilac yarn on my previous post. The yardage isn't great and I panic about running out mid-foot!

This weekend is the Ted Hughes Festival in Yorkshire- just heard about it on the tail-end of the Today Programme on Radio 4. If only I'd known before, the fiance and I could have had a little break - sadly, we've got other plans.

Tomorrow, my favourite shop is having a happy 7th birthday cocktail party - I got send a really cute invitation in the post. There are so few great independent shops in the Birmingham area, but this is a real gem - really friendly staff and different stock all the time, really lovely things for gifts and beautiful original clothes. Happy Birthday 'People'!

I have a long list of things that I MUST do this weekend for the wedding - starting with booking a hairdresser so that I don't have my usual unruly mop-top on the big day. I suppose I should get on and do some of them...

No comments: